As most of you probably know, we’ve been traveling for the last four months, through Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Indonesia, and then about 6 weeks ago we arrived in Australia.
Our plan was to do some traveling around Australia, and hopefully find jobs so we could actually set up shop and live out here for the next few months.
We started in Sydney, and drove all the way up to Cairns (stopping in lots of neat places along the way, tons of posts to come) but eventually we made our way back down to Byron Bay, just south of Brisbane, because we loved it here so much.
Now we’re kind of facing a tough choice. Australia is really expensive, and it’s been a lot harder than we thought it would be to find jobs here. I guess that makes sense, because what employer wouldn’t rather have someone long term than someone that will only be around for a few months?
Before we left for this trip, we were putting away money every month into a separate account for a really long time, so we had saved up enough for our trip, plus we figured we’d be making some money once we got to Australia.
We have about half the money we saved up left, but we’re trying to figure out what we want to do now. It’s basically the age old question of choosing between being responsible and sticking to the plan you made, or taking off on a wild crazy adventure.
We kind of have two choices. We can stick to our plan, keep trying to find jobs here, and we can spend the next few months working and hanging around in Byron Bay, hopefully making enough money to support ourselves and then spending a couple of weeks in New Zealand before we go home.
In option A, if we find jobs, we hopefully wouldn’t really be spending anything else from our vacation fund, so we’d have it to put towards our next adventure.
Or, we can say screw it, catch the next flight back to Indonesia, and spend the next month diving and traveling around Bali, Gili and Lombok, then fly to New Zealand for a week or so and then fly home earlier than we’d planned, maybe sometime in early November.
In option B, we would basically be spending everything we have left in our travel fund, and we’d be home earlier than we’d planned, but we’d be doing a lot more, and having a lot more fun, which is basically the reason we spent all that time saving money, amiright?
Sooooo….. decisions, decisions.
Nobody knows what to do.
5 thoughts on “crossroads”
Either way sounds like a fun adventure. Best of luck in deciding.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thank you! Yes it’s not a bad choice to make, can’t really go wrong, but decided on Indonesia in the end
LikeLiked by 1 person
The Ginger Gypsy Blog
Summer is coming and it should be easy to find jobs in places like Byron and Port Douglas! Perhaps just pretend your applying to stay in it for the long haul 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yes that’s true, I think we were there a little too early for that, should have waited to go to that area a bit later. I definitely thought about that but they wanted me to sign a 6 month contract, so I would have felt kind of bad leaving after 2 months haha, I’m sure nothing terrible would’ve happened but still.
Pingback: sanur | loveliness.