From Language is a Virus, writing exercise of the day:
Compose a list of familiar phrases, or phrases that have stayed in your mind for a long time–from songs, from poems, from conversation.
Here is my list, and how long they’ve been hanging out in my head.
1. She was just a really good artist, painting pretty pictures inside my head- my friend Tanner, 6 years ago
2. The Sharks? You mean, like Shark Week?- my friend Amanda, last week
3. Either build your dream, or someone will hire you to build theirs- quote, yesterday
4. Fear of heights is really only fear of self, you don’t trust yourself not to jump- White Oleander, 10 years ago
5. Me: Would you marry me with this on my head? Derek: I’d marry you with anything on your head- 10 months ago
6. You think I need love? Honey, men need to be loved. Women, women need to be wanted.- Gemma Teller, SOA, 4 months ago
7. She had a weakness for writers and I, well I was never that good with words anyway- Lucero- 4 years ago
This site has tons of really neat writing exercises, to help with writer’s block, or just for fun.